The new network reality of Edge Computing
Companies that have already adopted edge computing have reported increased productivity, reduced costs and furthermore improved business processes. Even though the edge computing concept is not new, the increasing number of IoT devices connected to networks and large amounts of data being process is requiring a new approach. The solution for it is Edge Computing.
According to a Gartner report, 91% of today’s data is created and processed inside centralized data centers. But data is rapidly shifting away from the core. The same report predicts that by 2022 about 75% of all data will need analysis and action at the edge.
Edge Computing in a Nutshell
Edge computing is a networking concept focused on bringing computing as close to the source of data as possible in order to reduce latency and bandwidth use, for example. In simpler terms, it means running fewer processes in the cloud and moving those processes to local places, such as on a user’s computer, an IoT device, or an edge server. This minimizes the amount of long-distance communication that will happen between a client and a server.
Watch this very informative video with practical examples of Edge Computing use.
*Video from Goldman Sachs group
More about Edge Computing
- Edge computing architecture is a modernized version of data centre and cloud architectures with the enhanced efficiency of having applications and data closer to sources.
- It’s not the same as the network edge. This distinction enables IT professionals to designate control of network equipment.
- Edge computing can bring several benefits to enterprise networks with centralized management and keeps networks orderly and eventually maintained.
- When placed together with IoT it will reduce WAN transport costs and prevents the quality of service issues.
- Edge computing can act as an alternative to or complement of cloud computing for fewer data processing delays.
- It can represent more security as storing data at the edge would mean less vulnerable information is available at individual sites and the company wouldn’t have to shut down entire networks if they’re compromised.
Why is Edge Computing Inevitable?
Considering that 75% of all data will need analysis and action at the edge, four big technologies are the drivers for this massive change. Artificial Intelligence (AI), billions of IoT devices being deployed, 5G and innovations in edge data centers. Each of these trends will be driving demands for edge processing. When we combine all of them, edge computing becomes inevitable.
*Image from the Data at the Edge report produced by www.stateoftheedge.com
Productivity is the main word when the topic is edge computing. Once, the concept is fully in operation, it will decrease latency and bandwidth use, furthermore, it will reduce the associated cost for them. Companies will also need fewer server resources having new functionalities added to their IT environment.
More examples of how Edge Computing can bring benefits to companies
- It helps to minimize bandwidth use and server resources, which cost money.
- Reduce latency. Every time a device needs to communicate with a distant server somewhere, that creates a delay. If that process is brought to the edge, and the company’s internal router oversees transferring intra-office chats, that noticeable delay would not exist.
- Accelerate process that needs to communicate with external servers. When web applications users run into processes that require to communicate with an external server, they will encounter delays. These delays can be avoided by bringing more processes to the network edge.
- With companies processing and relying more on data, businesses can use edge computing to process and analyze these data at the edge, which can be done in real-time.
In a business world converting to the Digital Transformation and IoT initiatives more near our reality, Edge Computing is allowing these technologies to be highly available and reliable. It's a new ecosystem growing and the industry must adapt, deploying edge solutions that meet the requirements for performance and availability. Furthermore, providing better experiences for the end-users.
Sources used for this article:
New Horizons Ireland Training
At New Horizons Ireland, our team is ready to provide the best career advice to you. Talk to one of our Account Managers to unlock the opportunities to achieve your career goals. If you aren’t sure which one is the best path for your needs, you can book your free audit with one of our certified instructors.
View all our List of Courses
Subscribe for more!
Like our tips and tricks? Like to get your hands our latest keyboard shortcut cheat sheets? Or want to make sure you never miss our webinars and resources? Well, subscribe to our Newsletter now!